Carnarvon One Mile Jetty
The Carnarvon One Mile Jetty was built in 1897 and was the first port in Australia where live stock was transported regularly on a commercial basis by sea. State ships came to Carnarvon on an average of twice a week until they stopped using the jetty in 1966. This was due to the main road south being sealed. The first steam locomotive to run along the jetty was the Kia Ora in 1909. The train was affectionately called the ‘Coffee Pot’ because of the shape of its smoke stack and this tradition has carried on to the present day. The last steam train to operate on the Jetty was the Kimberley in the 1950’s, after this time diesel trains were used. The Jetty experienced over 50 years of being a hive of activity and the major lifeline of Carnarvon.
The Ocean Tramway enables visitors to ride the length of the jetty and view marine life and the mouth of the Gascoyne River.